Friday 20 July 2012

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

Like many good beer aficionados, I first became aware of better beer through imported beer. In my case, it was in jazz cubs that I frequented while living in New York City in the late 1970s. I remember fondly my first experiences with Bass Ale, Guinness and Pilsner Urquell. Prior to that, my beers consisted mainly of local and regional fare such as Yuengling, Schaefer, Sunshine, and, of course, Reading Beer (my hometown beer). Other early faves included Genesee Cream Ale, Ballantine’s and Carling Black Label. So the more flavorful imports were something of a revelation. I continued to try as many different beers as I could lay my hands on as my early career moved me from state to state. I began reading more and more about beer and discovered the writings of Michael Jackson, among other beer writers.When I first moved to California, the microbrewery revolution, as it was known in those days, was just gathering momentum. And I was more than ready to embrace it. The Safeway spin-off chain Liquor Barn was carrying most of the new microbrewed beers as well as an excellent selection of imported beers and my palette grew in sophistication. At this time, I began hosting serious tasting parties where friends would each bring two different beers (sometimes of a particular style, sometimes from a specific geographic location) and we’d taste them blind using a score sheet I devised and then talk about the beers we’d just tried.

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

Beer Craft

No comments:

Post a Comment