Wednesday 18 July 2012

Jams Preserves

Jams Preserves

Red currants are one of the easiest fruits to make jam and jelly with because they are naturally high in pectin and acidity. The color of red currant preserves is gorgeous, and the taste is both sweet and tart, never cloying.
You can combine red currants with low pectin fruits to ensure a good jell without having to add commercial pectin. That's the science behind Strawberry - Red Currant Preserves (doesn't hurt that the two fruits are in season at the same time and that they are delicious together!).
Or you can opt for red currants on their own. Red Currant Jelly is one of the easiest jelly recipes I know. You don't even have to remove the stems, but you end up with a smooth, translucent, ruby-red jelly.Currants freeze well, so if I'm short on time I just stockpile them in the freezer until I have enough to make one of these simple but lovely recipes. I can't procrastinate on harvesting them, though - the red currants in my garden are ready now.

Jams Preserves

Jams Preserves


Jams Preserves

Jams Preserves

Jams Preserves

Jams Preserves

Jams Preserves

Jams Preserves

Jams Preserves

No comments:

Post a Comment