Wednesday 18 July 2012

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

A friend gave me four limes that she had but knew she wouldn't use, making me responsible of preparing something mouthwatering out of them that she'd love too. It's not easy to find recipes JUST for limes, but when I found a recipe for lime marmalade,To reduce bitterness, I planned to leave the white rim out of the marmalade. Doing this took more time, but was worth the effort. I didn't reboil the jars in a water bath, but if you want to preserve the marmalade for a longer period (let's say you already want to make Christmas gifts), do it. As it has a heap of sugar in it, I believe well-sealed jars should keep well without doing it too.
Remove the white layer and slice pulp into thin slices, discarding seeds.
Place the slices and zest in a bowl, cover with the water and let the mixture soak overnight.
Next day pour the mixture into a large pot and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
Measure the cooked mixture and add the same amount of sugar. I had 8 1/2 dl of the mixture, so I added 8 1/2
Wash limes very carefully. Remove the green zest (make sure you only remove the green part) and cut into thin strips.
dl sugar to it.

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

Lime Preserves

 

No comments:

Post a Comment